As pretty as we’d like our nails to forever be, they serve an important purpose and a rather rigid one at that. Finding the right balance between the aesthetics and functionality can be an art in itself. As tough as these little things are, caring for them somehow takes a back seat when compared to our hair and skin and because nails are constantly exposed to the wear and tear of everyday life, they deserve special attention too.
Though getting a mani-pedi at the best spa in Bandra is the right step forward, you do need to put in some extra effort on the daily to make sure they stay in their best state.
Follow these simple dos and don’ts to discover smooth, uber-beautiful nails.
Dos of nail care
- Keep nails clean and dry : prolonged contact with water can make nails brittle and prone to splitting, and nails in this state can be a breeding ground for bacteria and germs. Also, ensure that you regularly sterilize your nail care equipment like callus remover, filer, nail buffer and nail clipper to prevent microbes from nestling in them.
- Moisturize your nails : Your nails are made of keratin, the same protein that forms your hair. And since the cuticles can dry up or become chapped, moisturizing your nails with cuticle oil helps to restore its vitality. Regular moisturizing with cuticle oil increases blood circulation and stimulates growth of your nails, it also makes them more flexible and improves their texture and appearance.
- File the nails in a single direction : Aggressive filing can make them brittle and lead to premature breaking of nails, it also damages the cuticles. The best way to file your nails is to file them gently in one direction, starting from the centre towards your corners and let the filer do the work without excessive pressure.
- Wear gloves : When indulging in your day to day activities where your hands are exposed to the elements and are likely to suffer wear and tear it is advisable to wear protective gloves. This helps in protecting your nails as long-term exposure to harsh elements like the chemicals in soaps and detergents can end up morphing the colour and texture of your nails.
- Check out your salon : Visit a luxury salon only if it maintains the highest standards in hygiene since the health of nails is far more priceless than value for money. Check out the ingredients used in the products, inquire about the expertise of the staff. A good salon focuses on the individual needs of every client, uses world-class techniques, and pampers you only with the best naturally sourced ingredients.